Summer Samuel Craft Camp – 01
Project 1: Extra Soft Pastels on Black Paper
Each Thursday during the summer months, I am hosting weekly crafting classes. My campers range from the ages of 5 to 9 and includes both girls and boys. My first activity taught the campers how to draw and use soft chalk pastels.
- Extra Soft Pastels (I used Hardtmuth brand)
- Black drawing paper
- White glue
- Glitter glue
- Twinklets Diamond Dust – optional
- Adhesive spray glue
- Plaid Patricia Nimocks Clear Acrylic Sealer
The campers were asked to pick 3 colors from the chalks. By using three colors, the campers were able to isolate their design choices while keeping the picture simple. This exercise taught the campers about the color wheel and utilizing contrasting and/or complimentary colors.
- Draw simple picture.
- Fill with pastel colors.
- Add glue, glitter glue or puffy paint.
- Let dry.
- Optional- spray with adhesive glue and sprinkle on Twinkle Diamond Dust or glitter. Shake excess off.
- Spray sheets with Acrylic Sealer. This keeps the chalk from fading or coming off the paper.